We live in a world in which digitalization has managed to cross any physical barrier, connecting millions of devices and systems in the same global network. In fact, surely you have ever stopped to think about the amount of sensitive information that circulates through the networks, haven’t you?
Of course, companies that have already made a commitment to cybersecurity do seem to be aware of their vulnerability. Fortunately, there are already several companies that have understood that protecting their data and video surveillance systems is no longer just an option, but a real necessity.
And you, you still don’t know why you should bet on the alliance between digital security and video surveillance? Don’t worry. At SCATI we are experts in video surveillance solutions for companies based on the highest cybersecurity standards established by IT departments. With this post, we are going to make you understand it well. Stay tuned!
The importance of security in the digital world
It is clear that, in a world where everything is connected, protecting our digital assets has become as crucial as safeguarding our physical ones.
This involves everything from building a much more robust network infrastructure to educating every worker and user on how to use it properly.
Digital security allows us to anticipate cyber threats before they materialize, and to adapt to the new tactics of cybercriminals. But are we paying enough attention to the security tools we implement?
Today, cybersecurity has proven that it is not a static concept. On the contrary: it evolves as fast as the technologies it has to protect.. In addition, with every technological advance, new vulnerabilities emerge that must be addressed.
And if we talk about cybersecurity, we must mention video surveillance. Do you know how the latter is adapting to meet the new challenges of the Internet? We tell you about it:
The role of video surveillance in digital security
Today, security cameras are intelligent devices capable of connecting into a much larger network, collecting and analyzing data in real time. Now you can proactively detect anomalous situations, identifying vulnerabilities and potential threats before they become incidents for your organization.
Cybersecurity and video surveillance integration
You already know: effective integration of cybersecurity and video surveillance is key if you need complete protection for your business.
The use of artificial intelligence and deep learning in video surveillance systems will allow you to identify certain patterns of behavior and alert you to suspicious activities, merging your hardware or physical security elements with cybersecurity software, for a more agile and effective response.
Benefits of the alliance between cybersecurity and video surveillance
- Early threat detection and improved incident response capability.
Integrity and confidentiality of images and data.
- Improved decision making and allocation of security resources.
- Compliance with data protection and privacy regulations, such as the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR).
Tools and technologies for an effective partnership
In this sense, the security tools and advanced technologies that exist to make this synergy a reality are very varied. These are the most commonly used:
- Video Management Systems (VMS). They incorporate end-to-end encryption and allow centralized management with high security standards to protect against intrusions.
- Virtual Private Networks (VPN). They are essential for secure remote communication and secure access to your video surveillance images.
- Video analysis with Artificial Intelligence. Integrated with cybersecurity incident management systems (SIEM), it issues an automated response to anomalous events.
- Advanced firewalls and intrusion detection systems (IDS/IPS). These tools are essential to protect your data and prevent unauthorized access.
- Multi-factor authentication and role-based access control. They make it possible for only certain authorized personnel to have access to use your video surveillance systems and handle critical information.
Types of cyber threats
To ensure good integration, it is essential that you establish effective collaboration between your company’s IT and security teams, based on a common protocol and continuous communication. In addition, training and awareness of the entire workforce on potential digital security threats is substantial.
In this regard, there are different types of cyber threats that attack computer systems. According to the European Union Agency for Cybersecurity (ENISA), some of the most common are:
- Social engineering. Tactics such as phishing or smishing to gain unauthorized access to systems or services.
- Threats against data. Attacks that seek unauthorized access to data sources, through intentional data breaches or unintentional data leaks.
Strategies for comprehensive protection
A comprehensive protection strategy should be as dynamic as the digital landscape it faces. So how do you build an active, flexible and constantly updated strategy to really protect your company?
Best practices in cybersecurity
Start by implementing cybersecurity best practices in your business. Every detail counts: from password authentication protocols to employee training.
Of course, the most effective way to protect yourself is to encrypt your data in the network end-to-end, but without compromising the optimal performance of your video surveillance system.
Our recommendation? Trust SCATI’s professionalism. We are specialists in intelligent security systems for your company and cybersecurity, and we are here to help you. In addition, if you have read this article, you have surely already understood the importance of combining video surveillance and cybersecurity as two parts of a whole. Don’t let it pass you by!
Contact our team and tell us about your project. We will take care of designing an integral solution, completely adapted to your needs. What are you waiting for to protect your business?